Saturday, August 4, 2012

On the road...

It's been ages since I have written a post, but we have been so busy, I just haven't had time- but I have managed to take many many pics that I am glad I made the effort to snap. I have also been keeping a personal hand written journal of our trips and adventures and created a few digital scrap pages, so hopefully when we get home, I can collate it all into albums with the memorabilia I have collected on the way.

It's hard to believe we have been away for almost 3 months now, on the whole it has flown by and we have really enjoyed our time.
When I look back, we have covered a lot of ground and an awesome mix of experiences. Each week really deserves its own post, but I know that won't happen.

I am going to start from where we are now and go backwards I'm thinking...
Once Marcus found out he was in the USA PGA, we decided that it would make sense to stay longer in the UK and fly from there instead of Melbourne. We managed to use points to all fly over, so I was so excited to see what the USA is like. After a 7 hour flight to New York, we connected onwards to Orlando, Florida. Many golfers live in this area, so we thought it would be a good base for a week to chill out and make the most of the warm weather. Marcus has been able to play a few courses and go to the range most days, whilst we have had lots of fun at the pools at the resort.
I get the guilts on many occasions whilst we drag the kids around the world- one reason is that they miss out on important weekly lessons like swimming... so a week like this means we can get Archie's confidence going again and hopefully when we return home, we can get them both into a 'normal' routine that includes swimming lessons. Normal... who am I kidding?! I don't think we will ever have a normal life, but we can at least try when we are home :-)

The USA has been great so far- friendly, laid back nature; good weather; awesome Disney World; good shopping at nearby outlets; a good apartment and most importantly- a good bed! I can't wait to sleep in my own bed in 5 weeks time lol
The food has been OK, nothing awesome or overly healthy, but then again, we haven't ventured too far from the resort, so I am sure there are great restaurants around. We have just found it easier with the kids to order in after some big days out in the 33-35 degree heat.
We decided to head to Disney World on the Thursday and went to one of the 7 parks, Magic Kingdom. We nearly didn't get there after Archie misbehaved big time. We sent him to bed the night before and tossed and turned whether to go or not... If he woke up horrible to us again, we were going to be firm and not go. But of course, he woke up sweet as pie and seemed like he realised how horrible he had been to us, even saying sorry. So we told him what we were doing that day and what we expected of him and he was awesome all day. We are trying to teach him that he is very lucky to have all these experiences and I hope in time, he will come to appreciate it all- the last thing we wish for is spoilt children. But after all, it is not their fault that they are on the road... I would rather buy them experiences than oodles of toys for their development and our sanity!



Tomorrow, we are driving 6 hours north to Kiawah Island for the PGA. Very much looking forward to an exciting week ahead. Then we will head back to the UK for a few days before driving up to Scotland for a week. Marcus will then play Swiss Open and KLM Open in Holland, whilst we will stay in UK. Then before we know it, we will be on the plane heading home to Mac Dog! It's going to be so strange to go home, but we can't wait!
We have had an incredible 3 months and are so grateful we have been able to do it. Luckily the kids have been fantastic most of the time and haven't disturbed Marcus and his preparations each week. It wouldn't be fair on Marcus if they weren't great travelers/sleepers. We have never been together so much in our whole 10 years together- it's been awesome for all of us for many reasons.

I have so many more posts to get down- Lily turning 1 and all her tricks; Denmark; Sweden; Jacquie traveling with us to Paris, Cornwall and British Open and just simply hanging at our place in Surrey. But they will have to wait... all in good time :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment